Minutes

June 2021 Meeting Minutes

OCATS Meeting Agenda

Date: Thursday June 17, 2021
Time: 10:00am – 11:30am
Location: Virtual Meeting via Microsoft Teams
  1. Welcome & Land Acknowledgement – if anyone would like to suggest changes to the Land Acknowledgement contact Tammy Moorse – tmoorse @hpl.ca
  2. Approval of Agenda – Approved
  1. Member check-in
    • Jana Prokupek– Burlington Public Library – Technical services has been working two days per week on site and three from home. They are offering contactless holds pick-up and will hopefully be opening the smaller branches for browsing in Phase 2.
      • Manager of their department has retired, and Cody Vanderslot has taken the role, will be hiring a new collections librarian to replace him.
      • A customer pointed out that Indigenous cookbooks were appearing in searches for “Indian cookbooks” even though they had already updated their subject headings – are currently looking into how to solve this problem
      • Have been adding photos to records that don’t include cover images from the vendors – photographing the items and adding the images to the records manually
      • Tammy Moorse suggested looking into the ISBN cover image look-up service provided by Bibliocommons
    • Erica Mayhew – Richmond Hill Public Library– recently finished updating the Indigenous Subject Headings in the catalogue using mostly the Greater Victoria Public Library, 350+ subject headings
    • Anna Dundas – London Public Library – Have been switching from cataloguing in-hand to cataloguing from invoices. Aim to continue with 80% of items being catalogued from invoices and 20% on hand. They have been operating without a coordinator for some time but will be hiring someone new soon. Also currently working on updating Indigenous subject headings as well as other subject headings that could be potentially problematic.
    • Kris Wawrzyniak – Toronto Public Library – Will be launching the new digital archive on July 14 after over two years of work. After the TPL archive goes live, the Ontario Digital Archive will as well as it uses the same data set. There were some challenges with the platform as it was built for museums and had limitations as to the number of subject headings of one type that can be used.
    • Tammy Moorse – Hamilton Public Library – HPL’s Red Book Database of Community services launched its new linked-data system in December. They can bring in data from provincial and federal data sets via API and use ESRI GIS technology for addresses to provide consistency throughout records and provide mapping capabilities. They also just launched the Senior’s Guide which is a curated subset of the general database that is targeted towards seniors in Hamilton. It is available as a dynamic PDF with notes on the bottom of each page to indicate the data so that the timeliness of the data can be noted after printing.
      • Public Services have remained open throughout the recent shutdown with 30 min computer use and contactless holds pick-up. In Phase 1 computer time has been increased to one hour. Grab-and-Go bags continue to be offered
    •  Diana Haefele – Hamilton Public Library – Technical services is working with a small number of staff currently. They are cataloguing print materials from invoices at home and non-print materials on site.
    • Kelley Buehler – Toronto Public Library – Have been offering grab-bags of pre-selected items and will be reintroducing board books into circulation. Next, they will be re-introducing magazines and other serials as well
    • Natalie MacDonald – Has been working on the French translations of the updated Indigenous Subject Headings and has approval now to publish a first phase of bilingual updates in Canadiana
    • Kathleen O’Reilly – National Gallery of Canada – They have also been working on updating the Indigenous Subject Headings. Are hoping to have access to their building soon as they have not been allowed on site since the last shutdown.
    • Jolene – Aurora Public Library – Have been working on updating Indigenous subject headings and are about halfway through using the list from Greater Victoria Public Library
    • Lindsay Shaw – New Tecumseth Public Library – Their department is going through some big staffing changes as they are one manager short, and their CEO is on their last days and has not yet been replaced. They are also working on cataloguing items as part of their new Library of Things collection and helping with curbside and public services.
    • Quarantining of materials has been ceased at Toronto Public Library, Hamilton Public Library, Orangeville Public Library, Barrie Public Library, and New Tecumseth Public Library
    • ALA RUSA presentation July 7, 1pm EST– Decolonizing the Catalog: Anti-Racist Description Practices from Authority Records to Discovery Layers https://www.ala.org/rusa/decolonizing-catalog-anti-racist-description-practices-authority-records-discovery-layers
  1. Plans for OCATs – Kelly Buehler, Toronto Public Library
    • Many thanks to Tammy Moorse for pushing this group ahead
    • Goals:
      • Form a networking community
      • Share info about trends and changes in cataloguing and metadata throughout all types of libraries
      • Support and push for increased cataloguing and metadata sessions at OLA
    • Meetings and membership will continue to be free. Group will meet quarterly for up to two hours either in person or online
    • Aim to provide low or no-cost training opportunities on topics such as MarcEdit, Open Refine, and RDA. There is also the idea to offer one-to-two-hour sessions in a “summer camp style” in July or August of 2022
    • OCATS Website is in development and will include meeting minutes, resources for new cataloguers, technical resources, links to other cataloguing organizations, updates on projects at the Ontario institutions, and information, resources, and links about specific topics such as Indigenous subject headings
    • A questionnaire or invitation will be sent to OCATS members to gather information for the website or contact Kris Wawrzyniak (kwawrzyniak @tpl.ca) to gain editing permissions
    • Note was shared to use the language of Indigenizing your catalogue rather than decolonizing your catalogue
      1. A link to a reading on this topic was shared: Decolonization is not a Metaphor by Eve Tuck and K. Wayne Yang https://jps.library.utoronto.ca/index.php/des/article/view/18630
  1. OCATS Website https://ocats.ca/– Kris gave a demonstration of the current version of the OCATS website. Contact Kris (kwawrzyniak @tpl.ca), Kelly (kbueller @tpl.ca), or Tammy (tmoorse @hpl.ca) to share ideas for the site
    • New pages will be added for different topics
    • Retention policy needs to be considered to determine when old posts will be archived
    • All content is automatically backed up to google drive and the website is hosted in Montreal on Canadian servers
    • Institutions that would like their own page to share information on the website can email Kris
    • Institutional pages can be used to share conference presentations or specific project details and Tammy/Kelly/Kris are happy to address questions from senior leadership if permission is needed to post these items
  2. Update on Cataloguing Code of Ethics – May Chan, University of Toronto
    • Endorsement and engagement from library associations is underway and francophone and Indigenous committees are also being consulted. This process will take 6 months to 1 year.
    • Grassroots impact of this work includes a group from Portugal asking if they can translate and use this code of ethics and several people who served on the working groups asking to present on what the work has meant to them.
    • Some criticism/critique has been received that it is Anglo-American heavy. Response is that it was never meant to be a global endeavor. Everyone is invited to add to the bibliography.
    • August 10, 2pm EST – presentation geared to administrators and managers about the need to cataloguing ethics and why this type of work should be prioritized https://www.ala.org/core/walking-talk-realizing-ethical-considerations
    • Currently collecting case studies for situations that come up in the workplace that require some sort of ethical consideration. Details are found on the website: https://sites.google.com/view/cataloging-ethics/home/case-studies?authuser=0
  3. Final Report from the Canadian Bibframe Readiness Task Force from CFLA-FCAB
    http://cfla-fcab.ca/en/advocacy/final-report-canadian-bibframe-readiness/

    • To be added to the September agenda
  4. Program of Cooperative Cataloguing (PCC) position on RDA 3R
    https://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/documents/PoCo-2020/newRDA%20ImpementationPlanNov2.pdf

    • To be added to the September agenda
  5. Other Business – none
  6. Next Meeting Date and Time – September date and time TBD
  7. Adjournment

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

March 2021 Meeting Minutes

OCATS Meeting Agenda

Date: Thursday March 18, 2021
Time: 10:00am – 11:00pm
Location: Virtual Meeting via Microsoft Teams
  1. Welcome & Land Acknowledgement
    • Any feedback or suggestions for the land acknowledgement are welcomed and should be sent to Tammy Moorse.
  2. Approval of Agenda – approved
  1. OCATS Logo Update – options for the OCATS logo will be recirculated again before the next meeting
  1. Working during the Pandemic
    • Tammy Moorse – Hamilton Public Library
      • Team of three working entirely from home migrating data into the new Red Book database
      • Microsoft Teams has been a useful tool for both meetings and as a document repository
      • a large portion of the library staff have been seconded to work with the city public health department and open hours have been reduced to accommodate
    • Lindsay Shaw – New Tecumseth Public Library
      • opened up to the public this week
      • cannot do remote cataloguing due to firewall and non-web-based ILS
      • investigating VPN options for working from home
    • Jessica Van Keulen – Western University Library
      • major renovations to the largest library have displaced study space and holds pick up to the science library
      • technical services staff are mostly working from home with 1-2 days per week on site, only physical materials are catalogued on site
      • cleaning up issues from migration to Alma
    • Antonio Munoz Gomez – University of Waterloo Library
      • continuing with curbside pickup service
      • technical services staff are mostly working from home with 1-2 days per week on site to work on print materials
      • remote cataloguing of print materials is done with the help of receiving/holdings maintenance staff – for original and foreign language cataloguing scans of titles pages etc. can be requested, only cataloguing on site if absolutely necessary
    • Kelly Buehler – Toronto Public Library
      • processing, shipping, and receiving staff have been working on site since June, other staff including supervisors, acquisitions, and cataloguing are working from home with 1-3 days one site per week
      • staff are all using TPL laptops because of security issues involved with installing VPNs on personal laptops
      • workflow involves spreadsheets with information from vendor invoices, OCLC copy is compared with title pages available on Amazon or Publisher’s websites to verify, supervisors pull books that can’t be verified to be reviewed by staff when they are on site – the biggest issue is audiobook copy records listing the incorrect number of disks
      • working from home requires a lot more work in planning and administration of procedures and workflows
    • May Chan – University of Toronto Libraries
      • Transitioned to Alma in early January, currently learning the new system and redeveloping workflows
      • Cataloguing is completed off spreadsheets, onsite staff assist by scanning parts of books that require more complex description
    • Lorna Young – Toronto District School Board
      • Limited onsite staff based on a weekly rotation which includes technical services staff and managers
      • Supporting school libraries undergoing renovations by packing and unpacking collections
      • Will be holding a virtual book fair in the near future
    • Aurora Public Library
      • Beginning to plan changing Indigenous Subject Headings
  1. Ethics in Cataloguing Update – May Chan, University of Toronto
    • Final version of the Code of Ethics for Cataloguers was released in Jan 2021 after two rounds of feedback
    • Next steps are to get US, UK, and CAN endorsement from professional associations which is expected to take 6 months to 1 year
    • The steering committee is now expanding the Code by adding about case studies and they are looking for a few volunteers to test the process for submitting case studies. If interested email May Chan at ms.chan@utoronto.ca
  1. What more can be done to stimulate discussion on the google group?
    • Goal for 2021 is to complete the OCATS website, it will include a knowledge base of related links and resources
    • Emma Cross, OLA rep with CFLA/FCAB CMSC will gather input and relay it to OCATS
    • Looking into creating a more formal leadership structure for the OCATS group
    • Discussing eventually becoming part of OLA but there are concerns about OLA membership and associated costs becoming a barrier to involvement with OCATS
  1. Topics for presentations or presenters for meetings in 2021
    • Ad Hoc committee to plan themes and presentations for future events and meetings
    • Thomas Brenndofer to return with a presentation on the new RDA toolkit
      1. Interest in format-specific best practices
    • Canadian BIBFRAME readiness Task Force with an update on where Canada is on this and assistance to prepare libraries for the transition
    • Kris Wawrzyniak to do a tutorial on moving MARC data into and from OpenRefine and how to manipulate MARC data in Open Refine
    • Antonio Munoz Gomez to do a presentation on MarcEdit
    • Implementation of Indigenous Subject Headings and how to get vendors involved
    • Discussion surrounding LGBTQ+ subject headings
    • Stories and examples of other local treatments for subject headings
    • Introduction to Sinopia
    • Looking into creating or exploring existing alternatives to the Legislative Library of British Columbia’s MARC Records Batch Service
    • OLAC best practices for A/V resources including guidelines for the new MARC accessibility fields
    • Using ALMA analytics for cataloguing purposes
    • Different projects that people use tools for including special projects or regular workflows
      • Interest in Bookwhere and APIs for Alma
    • AHA! Moments where people discovered a new way of doing something that made a difference to their job
    • Suggestion for more voices from public libraries to avoid academic libraries dominating the discussion
  1. Other Business
  1. Next Meeting Date and Time – June 17
  2. Adjournment – Thanks Everyone

December 2020 Meeting Minutes

OCATS Meeting Minutes

Date: Thursday December 3, 2020
Time: 10:45am – 12:00pm
Location: Virtual Meeting via Microsoft Teams
  1. Welcome & Land Acknowledgement
    • To connect our community and work towards Truth and Reconciliation. We’ll begin this OCATs meeting by acknowledging that we are meeting, al bet virtually, on Indigenous land that has been inhabited by Indigenous people from the beginning. For those of us who are settlers, we thank all the generations of people who have taken care of these lands and acted as stewards of these places for us over thousands of years.

      With the large geographic area that this virtual meeting covers, we acknowledge that there are many Indigenous groups and treaties that are historic to this province. We recognize the contributions of the Metis, Inuit and all those that are Indigenous peoples. We deeply appreciate all their historic connections and contributions to strengthening and shaping this province and this country.

  2. Approval of Agenda – Approved
  3. Presentation on Bibframe & Linked Data – Ian Bigelow, University of Alberta (10 minutes)
  4. Logos
  5. Working during a Pandemic
    • Hamilton Public Library is in a Red Zone. All branches are fully open. Cataloguers are working on site but are doing more front-end service, so cataloguing is progressing slowly. A lot of cataloguing is being completed from invoices or simply approving vendor records.
    • Whitby Public Library is in a Red Zone. Staff and cataloguing team are on site, but the number of visitors is low.
    • Western University Libraries are open for study space, but the stacks are closed. Tech services are in a separate building and are working with reduced staff for physical distancing.
    • Burlington Public Library is open for browsing except for the central branch which is operating as grab and go. Tech services are not doing front end work and are focusing on cataloguing.
    • Barrie Public Library is in an Orange Zone. It is fully open and still offering express service. Most staff are on site, including tech services.
    • Ryerson University Library’s print cataloguing backlog is 10 months long as cataloguers have not been deemed as essential. Ebook cataloguing is being done from home. The library is offering some access to study space and print books can be requested and picked up on site.
    • Aurora Public Library has switched to indoor pick-up service because their parking lot (where they were previously offering pick-up) is under construction. Also offering ‘take and make’ kits from their Creative Studio and one-hour computer use on site.
    • Orangeville Public Library is in the Orange Zone. It is open to the public for computer use and holds pick up.
    • Richmond Hill Public Library is in the Red Zone. Hours are reduced but visitors are welcome to use the space and to browse the stacks. Reference desk staff are reduced. The opportunity is being taken to shift the collections. All staff have returned to regular hours except for some of the programmers.
  1. Discussion
    • OLA Superconference 2021 – entire conference will be virtual in 2021. Libraries can purchase a site license which will allow the entire library staff to access the conference and all recordings for 6 months
    • Tammy Moorse will be presenting on leveraging community information within the library and her work on the Red Book of Community Information at Hamilton Public Library.
    • May Chan will be part of a panel along with student interns from the University of Toronto. They will be discussing their project of increasing staff engagement around the need to improve subject headings pertaining to Indigenous Peoples.
    • Thomas Brenndorfer will be leading two presentations on the new RDA toolkit.
  1. Update on Ethics in Cataloguing and upcoming OLITA Event – May Chan
    • May Chan gave an update on the activities of the Cataloguing Ethics Steering Committee. https://sites.google.com/view/cataloging-ethics/home
    • They are continuing work on “A Code of Ethics for Cataloguers”. There have been two rounds of feedback and editing since the last OCATS meeting. The team meets every two weeks to review and discuss all comments. The second draft was pushed forward in August and closed for comments in September. They are close to issuing a final version but are still reviewing comments and consulting with teams in the UK and US to ensure that it meets the needs of those cataloguing communities.
    • OLITA is running a presentation on December 15,  “What’s Ethics Got to Do With it” https://fontevacustomer-1650ff83de5.force.com/s/lt-event?id=a1U5x00000EfzMNEAZ
    • There is currently a cost of $45 for the webinar but Tammy and May will follow up with OLITA as it was meant to be free. An update will be sent to the Google group and May will be invited back to give a presentation to the group if the OLITA webinar remains at $45.
    • Heather Pretty and Robin Desmeules will also be offering a webinar on Bibframe with OLITA in February. This will have a cost as it is more hands on.
  1. Other Business – no business to discuss
  2. Next Meeting Date and Time – MARCH 4, 2021 from 10 am to 11:30 am
  3. Adjourned

June 2020 Meeting Minutes

OCATS Meeting Minutes

Date: Thursday June 18th, 2020
Time: 10:00am – 12:00pm
Location: Virtual Meeting via Microsoft Teams
  1. Welcome and Land Acknowledgement
  2. Approval of Agenda
    • Addition to Agenda: Item 6 – May Chan to give overview of Cataloguing Ethics Document
  3. Terms of Reference for Group
    • Name: Ontario Cataloguing and Technical Service Interest Group (OCATS)
    • Goals
      • To be a networking community to share information about trends and changes
      • To be a space to share information between all library types: public, academic, special, etc.
      • To support increased metadata content at OLA to support professional development. Through advocacy to OLA or through supporting each other to develop presentations together.
      • To collect data about cataloguing and metadata work and services to help individual libraries and departments present to senior leadership teams.
    • Structure
    • Meeting Schedule – quarterly hybrid meetings: in person and virtual, 2 hours in length, tentative 2020 schedule: September, December
    • Hosting of group documents of website
      • Continue to use Google Group for document sharing and conversation
      • Review options for a formal website at next meeting
  4. Working during a Pandemic
    • Survey responses – 19 responses so far, responses included responses from outside of Ontario, survey will remain active to be circulated more widely to Canadian technical services groups
    • Action: Tammy to email survey results to OCATS list
  5. Forum Discussion Continued
    • OFRB ratings – replacement options, film ratings sources mentioned in chat:
      • TIFF
      • BC
      • Quebec
      • Alberta
      • Maritime
      • CHV
      • MPAA
      • CBSC
      • TV Parental Guidance Labels
      • Cineplex
    • OLA-presentations, streams, unconference
      • will plan to schedule an “unconference” time at OLA 2021
  6. Presentation of Draft of Cataloguing Ethics Principles – May Chan, University of Toronto (5 minutes)
    • Background on the Project: In 2019 a steering committee from ALA, CFLA, and CILIP formed to steer a process to come up with cataloguing ethics principles
    • Cataloguing Ethics Steering Committee Website
    • Working groups were formed in fall 2019
      • Subject headings
      • Classification
      • Workflows and infrastructure
    • Working groups presented recommendations and came up with 10 principles (draft)
    • Draft is open for input and commentary until August 1, 2020
  7. RDA Toolkit update – Thomas Brenndorfer, Guelph Public Library (10 minutes)
    • Current toolkit hasn’t had any updates. All new content is in the new toolkit. It updates the instruction set and element set.
    • Language of the toolkit is written in a way to facilitate translation.
    • Some updates in the new toolkit:
      • names, titles access points and identifiers
      • transcribing vs recording
      • new elements: manifestations statement elements
      • access point construction
      • records -> data
    • Resources:
      • ALA has webinar series for RDA training
      • RDA YouTube channel has lots of shorter lessons
      • RIMMF to input data with the RDA element sets
      • Two OLA presentations planned for next year on RDA
    • Proposal: Q&A for RDA at next meeting, call for questions will go our before the next meeting
    • Action: Thomas to put some training links together to share with the group
  8. Other Business
      • Please us the forum in the Google Group to post questions or discussion, it’s always so helpful!
  9. Next Meeting Date and Time
    • Date: September 24th 2020 10am-12pm
  10. Adjournment